Top 31 Maya Angelou Most Famous Quotes to Live By
- I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. | Maya Angelou Feel Quotes
- It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.
- My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors.
- Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it. | Maya Angelou Success Quotes
- You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.
- Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.
- I don’t trust people who don’t love themselves and tell me, ‘I love you.’ … There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.
- We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.
- I do not trust people who don’t love themselves and yet tell me, ‘I love you.’ There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt. | Maya Angelou Trust Quotes
- Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning.
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain. | Maya Angelou Change Quotes
- Anything that works against you can also work for you once you understand the Principle of Reverse.
- Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
- All great achievements require time. | Maya Angelou Time Quotes
- Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.
- I’ve learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
- Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time.
- Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.
- My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style
- While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God’s creation.
- History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
- Life is going to give you just what you put in it. Put your whole heart in everything you do, and pray, then you can wait.
- At fifteen life had taught me undeniably that surrender, in its place, was as honorable as resistance, especially if one had no choice.
- If you’re for the right thing, you do it without thinking.
- We can learn to see each other and see ourselves in each other and recognize that human beings are more alike than we are unalike.
- When someone shows you who they are believe them; the first time.
- I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.
- Without willing it, I had gone from being ignorant of being ignorant to being aware of being aware. And the worst part of my awareness was that I didn’t know what I was aware of. I knew I knew very little, but I was certain that the things I had yet to learn wouldn’t be taught to me at George Washington High School.
- If you’re always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
- The desire to reach the stars is ambitious. The desire to reach hearts is wise and most possible.
Mark Twain Age Quotes
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.
Anne Frank Happy Quotes
Whoever is happy will make others happy too.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Strength Quotes
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
Helen Keller Happiness Quotes
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
Napoleon Hill Desire Quotes
The starting point of all achievement is DESIRE. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat.
Mark Twain Complain Quotes
Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Top 101 Most Popular Quotes of All Time
- “Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”
- “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
- “Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the bullshit, take chances & never have regrets, because at one point everything you did was exactly what you wanted.”
- “Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.”
- “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.”
- “You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could’ve, would’ve happened… or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f*ck on.”
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
Martin Luther King Jr
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”
“I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
- “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.”
- “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”
- “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.”
- “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
- “Don’t expect your friend to be a perfect person. But, help your friend to become a perfect person. That’s true friendship..”
- “Ignore those people who’s always talking behind your back. That’s where they belong, just behind your back.”
- “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion!”
- “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.”
- “I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”
- “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
Bernard M. Baruch
- “If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
George Bernard Shaw
- “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
- “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
- “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.”
- “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – That’s why we recommend it daily.”
- “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”
- “Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.”
John F. Kennedy
- “You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching,
Love like you’ll never be hurt,
Sing like there’s nobody listening,
And live like it’s heaven on earth.”
William Watson Purkey
- “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”
- “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.”
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
- “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
- “Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt.”
- “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”
- “Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
- “Everything tells me that I am about to make a wrong decision, but making mistakes is just part of life. What does the world want of me? Does it want me to take no risks, to go back to where I came from because I didn’t have the courage to say “yes” to life?”
“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”
- “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough”
- “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
- “Great minds discusss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”
- “Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.”
- “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion!”
- “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
- “A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.”
- “I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not…”
- “Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.”
- “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.”
- “You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It wont happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.”
- “Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.”
- “If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.”
Gordon A. Eadie
- “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”
- “People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”
- “The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.”
- “Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: “What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .””
- “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”
- “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.”
- “Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
- “If you’re born poor, it’s not your mistake. But if you die poor, it’s your mistake.”
- “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”
- “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
- “I live by ‘Go big or go home.’ That’s with everything. It’s like either commit and go for it or don’t do it at all. I apply that to everything. I apply that to relationships, I apply that to like sports, I apply that to everything. That’s what I live by. That’s how I like it.”
- “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.”
- “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”
- “Silence & smile are two powerful tools. Smile is the way to solve many problems & Silence is the way to avoid many problems.”
- “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.”
- “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
- “Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”
- “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.”
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
- “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
- “In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.”
- “You never know what you have until you lose it, and once you lose it, you can never get it back…”
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- “Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything.”
- “Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
- “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
- “The starting point of all achievement is DESIRE. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat.”
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
Martin Luther King Jr
- “Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn’t matter which color does the hating. It’s just plain wrong.”
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
- “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
- “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
- ”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
- “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
George Bernard Shaw
- “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.”
- “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”
- “I don’t dislike my haters, they dislike me. I’m doing nothing wrong, I’m just being me.”
- “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”
- “If you don’t build your dream, someone else will hire you to help them build theirs!”
- “He who cannot be a good follower cannot be a good leader.”
- “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
- “Just when you think it can’t get any worse, it can. And just when you think it can’t get any better, it can.”
- “Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.”
“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
- “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
*So what’s your favorite quote? Share it in comment.
Quotes About Advice for Daily Living - Frances Ann Lebowitz
Think before you speak. Read before you think.
Martin Luther King Jr Hope Quotes
Everything that is done in the world is done by hope.
Lao Zi Famous Quote of Life
Simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.
Bob Marley Greatness Quotes
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Healthcare Quotes - Dr. Harry Greenspun
Just because I have a fitness app on my phone doesn’t make me an athlete.
Moving on is easy. It’s staying moved on that’s trickier.
Jim Rohn Lead Your Life Quotes
Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else’s hands, but not you.
Quotes about Challenges
When life puts you in tough situations
Don’t say “why me”
Just say “try me”
Dalai Lama Purpose of Religion Quotes
The purpose of religion is to control yourself, not to criticise others.
Martin Luther King Jr Challenges Quotes
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Michael Jordan Play to Win Quotes
I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win.
Steve Maraboli Letting Go Quotes
Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.